The HIV/AIDS epidemic is not over, especially in Black communities. Would you like to be a part of the solution? The Black AIDS Institute is looking for a dynamic Communications Manager who thrives in an unapologetically Black environment to help us confront HIV/AIDS. The Communications Manager is an essential part of the Black AIDS Institute’s organizational visibility, community engagement, program content development and health information dissemination efforts. The Manager plays an integral role in the next generation of Black HIV/AIDS response by developing and executing communications strategies that advance BAI’s mission, vision, organizational goals and amplify BAI’s programs from an unapologetically Black point of view.
The Communications Manager leads all communication efforts for the organization which includes but not limited to: crafting an overall digital communications strategy that enhances BAI’s mission; leading all of BAI’s digital platforms management which includes content planning, creation, implementation and analysis; promote culturally appropriate imagery in keeping with the organization’s well-established brand that is managed by the Chief Design Officer; support and promote the program activities implemented by BAI’s national and Los Angeles-based teams, partner with staff and external collaborators for event support; proactively pitch stories to media/bloggers and find creative ways to bring young and older Black, community-focused individuals into a larger conversation about HIV and Black health.
The ideal candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to anti-oppression work that fights for the core values of social justice and equal representation, as well as thrive in an unapologetically Black work environment. While this is a full-time position, some weekend and evening hours will be required. Some travel is required.
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA – Preferred. (No re-location costs are borne by the agency)
Reporting Relationship: President and Chief Executive Officer
Supervisory Relationship: Communications Specialist and/or Coordinator
Agency-wide Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the mission, vision, and values of the Black AIDS Institute
- Complies willingly with all organizational policies and procedures
- Supports all functions that attain and maintain accreditation and compliance with regulatory agencies
- Supports and facilitates positive interaction with others by exhibiting:
- Individual maturity
- Respect for others
- A team-centered approach
- Cultural Humility
- Maintenance of confidential information
- Communicates appropriate information to other departments in a timely and effective manner
- Participates in appropriate professional development programs to attain and maintain competency
Position Specific Duties/Responsibilities:
- Communications Planning and Implementation:
- Communications Planning: Create annual organizational communications plan and goals that includes earned media, membership communication, and digital platforms with the goal to promote multiple aspects of BAI’s program content promotion, routine health services and educational trainings, staff profiles etc.
- Develop messaging and talking points and ensure collateral materials across program areas are up-to-date, framed persuasively and reflect BAI leadership, organizational mission and organizational positions on evolving political issues.
- Develop communications systems, policies, protocols and strategies to achieve BAI’s mission
- Develop and implement appropriate media relations strategies and tactics that position BAI to react to stories affecting Black communities.
- Social Listening: Maintain community engagement via in-person and online networks to stay abreast of social, health/medical and political developments that can be integrated into organizational messages.
- Continually promote and refine BAI’s mission via key messages in staff pitches, management presentations, leadership speeches etc.
- Website Management:
- Manage and grow all aspects of BAI’s website via tools like WordPress, to reflect growing program and direct service offerings, continual educational training, a diverse and community-aligned staff and a uniquely Black perspective to ending HIV.
- Coordinate across the organization to ensure all initiatives led by various staff are strongly represented and accessible at various points of the website.
- Collaborate with Chief Design Officer to ensure high quality, culturally respectful and vibrant imagery across the website.
- Ensure timely updates of news, events, and partner content posted and then promoted on social media.
- Lead relationship with website vendor responsible for technical support and enhancements.
- Monitor, analyze and report web metrics on a quarterly basis via Google Analytics.
- Social Platforms Management:
- Leverage routine engagement with staff and online social listening to develop quarterly editorial calendar across BAI’s 3 key platforms: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Coordinate with Chief Design Officer to create imagery to promote BAI’s programmatic content, community observances, partner updates and topics that are socially/culturally relevant across BAI’s multiple audiences.
- Monitor engagement across all 3 platforms to generate conversations with followers, especially around product launches and community awareness days.
- Track, analyze and report social media analytics using Hootesuite and native platforms tools to make continually revise social media practices.
- Recommend and implement opportunities for social media ad buying for increased visibility at select events.
Media Outreach & Engagement:
- Write talking points, opinion pieces, press releases, newsletters, and other materials; provide strategic feedback; and be able to work in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines;
- Enhance existing media relationships with the Black Press and develop new relationships to promote BAI content at relevant times such as National HIV Testing Day etc.
- Respond to and book all interviews for staff with media
- Event Planning and Support:
- Coordinate with program teams to promote events in advance and on the day of to create community engagement via website, social media and email marketing.
- Collaborate with Chief Design Office and video vendor to develop visual content that can be repurposed for content promotions before and after milestone events.
- Make recommendations and implement tactics for onsite engagement via tools like Facebook/Twitter Live, Instagram Stories, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a communications-related field and at least 4-6 years of progressively responsible work experience in the fields of communications, preferably for community organizations, nonprofits, and/or serving people of color.
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience and familiarity with Black HIV prevention and care programming, particularly HIV services in clinical and nonclinical settings, and HIV and health policy at a local and national level.
- Minimum 4 years of experience developing organizational and/or programmatic communications strategy and demonstrated knowledge of implementation.
- Minimum 2 years managing and content design for at least 1 social media platform. Knowledge and familiarity with managing content design, implementation, engagement and analytics reporting for Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. At a later date the agency may consider the need to develop a Snapchat presence. Preferred experience with Hootesuite or another social media management tool for tracking and reporting.
- Minimum 1 year experience managing a content management based website, blog or news feed, and related content planning across the organization’s teams. Familiarity with WordPress to design pages/posts, publish and edit content and update exist web-pages with appropriate imagery and information.
- Minimum 2 years of experience developing press releases, statements, issue-based articles, speaking points, and other writing for health and health-policy related issues.
- Experience leading and coaching cross-functional teams and managing external creative vendors (e.g., graphic designers, web developers, and videographers, and internal staff)
- Experience with leveraging email marketing via Constant Contact for email marketing, Sprout Social for social media management tools and Canva for graphic design/editing. Knowledge of similar tools is acceptable.
- Ability to thrive and problem-solve in an agency that is transforming and continually responding to and evolving with social turmoil, breaking news, political changes, tight deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously with high attention to detail and creativity.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Suite and cloud-based applications such as One Drive and DropBox for collaborative content development, editing, program promotions management.
- Ability to use Asana as a project management software.
- Technologically savvy and able to self-learn emerging and new tech platforms that support and amplify communications efforts.
General Skill Requirements:
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication, public speaking and presentation skills
- Exemplary ability to manage multiple tasks using independent judgment and discretion
- Ability to work independently and accurately in a high-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work under pressure while exercising discretionary judgment; make decisions when necessary with minimal direct supervision; work remotely without supervisory accompaniment.
- Ability to work in an open office environment.
- Ability to capture values and organizational culture in writing and other communications efforts.
Physical and Sensory Requirements:
- Ability to read, write and converse in English
- Ability to communicate efficiently with staff, stakeholders, and vendors
- Ability to remain calm and composed under stress
- Bending, lifting, grasping, fine hand/eye coordination, pushing/pulling, and/or prolonged sitting/standing
- Ability to respond to telephones and other auditory stimulation
- Ability to organize
- Quantitative/mathematical ability (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, standard measurements)
- Ability to evaluate/interpret information and make independent judgments/decisions
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com. Email subject line should read “Communications Manager” Incomplete submissions will not be considered. Black folks, LGBTQ+ people, People Living With HIV, and people who hold more than one of these identities are highly encouraged to apply. Initial screening will begin on April 30, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. No phone calls please.
About the Black AIDS Institute
The Black AIDS Institute is the only national HIV/AIDS think tank focused exclusively on Black people. The Institute’s mission is to stop the AIDS epidemic in Black communities by engaging and mobilizing Black institutions and individuals in efforts to confront HIV. The Institute interprets public and private sector HIV policies, conducts trainings, offers technical assistance, disseminates information and provides advocacy mobilization from a uniquely and unapologetically Black point of view.
The Black AIDS Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about the Black AIDS Institute visit www.blackaids.org.